As I was reading I kept searching for what the Lord was going to show me through this text. At the end of chapter II I found myself coming into the observational stage of my Kairos moment. Worship as a whole is far too big for a Sunday morning. The covenant sealed in blood with Abraham, the promises made to the Israelites on Mt. Sinai, all of these moments are great acts of worship. Webber states that the way to proper worship is by remembering, anticipating, celebrating, response to signs, and expressions of our heart. That seems like a lot to put in a Sunday morning and in reality not many churches do. The Lord calls us to worship and if we do not receive his invitation then we are missing our opportunity to do all of the things that generate proper worship. The final thought that truly captured my attention was in the biblical themes of worship section. Webber states that "worship is not complete without hearing from the Lord." These words cut to my core, and I began to reflect on how I have led and not heard or been led and not followed.
So that is how God grabbed my attention through these few chapters. Worship is not confined to our Sunday mornings because it is a subject rich with history, love, repentance, and justice. The scary part about all of this is that I don't know half as much as I should. Every time I posture my heart to receive His revelation I always seem to get smacked in the face. I heard someone quote Rich Mullins recently saying "God's the kind of guy who will give you a bloody nose and then offer you a ride home on His bike." Seems to me that sometimes I need a good punch, what I want is just a ride home.
I also loved when he said: "worship is not complete without hearing from the Lord." soooo challenging. It makes me think of that time you encouraged us to command our souls to worship. I def. need to take time and re-evaluate my "worship times". I think genuine worship comes naturally if we are truly taking time on our own to seek him. hmm good stuff Andrew!
ReplyDelete